Science hub schools network
These meetings offer great networking opportunities and also address teacher needs and relevant themes each term. Come along to discuss strategies, best practice and share resources with your science community.
Summer 2018 meetings
Our summer hub meetings will provide:
- guidance around using Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA) post results to efficiently and accurately identify potential weaknesses for your following cohort
- a two tiered teaching and learning activity
- in part one we will discuss your experience of the reformed GCSEs – what went well as a result of the changes, for example the refocusing of practical work away from the controlled assessments
- in part two we will take this discussion further by exploring areas you want to improve for your next cohort
- results day information, including links to helpful AQA and Ofqual pages.
Please note: As awarding has not yet taken place, we will not be able to talk about the papers your students just sat.
Previous meetings and resources
Spring 2018 meeting resources
This spring meeting discussed feedback from the mock exams and the Exampro MERiT analysis tool. We also explored revision resources and ideas and took a closer look at the marking principles of extended response.
- Accompanying materials: Paper 1 performance data, extended response questions and sample responses
At our autumn hub meetings we looked at how to balance the teaching and learning focus of the different assessment objectives with effective practical lessons. We also covered tier of entry decisions, insight from the summer 2017 exams, and how the awarding process works.
At the summer meetings we discussed data findings from the end of Year 10 tests, including common strengths and weaknesses. We also facilitated discussion groups with supporting materials on various topics to suit local needs.
- Summer hub presentation
- Discussion 1: maths assessments
- Discussion 2: teaching and learning the required practicals
- Discussion 3: meeting the challenge of Combined Science
- Discussion 4: stretch and challenge
The spring meetings provided updates on resources for both GCSE and A-level. We also facilitated discussion groups on high demand questions and maths in science.
- Sample high demand questions
- Summary of the structure of the papers
- A-level Environmental Science information sheet
- Practical work and learning outcomes
The autumn hub meetings gave an overview of the new 9 to 1 GCSE grading structure plus feedback from the summer 2016 exam series, and updates on the A-level monitoring visits. These meetings were also an opportunity for teachers to get a tour of the new functions for Exampro.
Executive summaries for the new GCSE specifications and the exemplars for GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics are available to download from e-AQA.
The summer hub meetings provided the opportunity to share effective practice as well as information about the new GCSE science specifications and A-level updates.