Results day

Read about what to expect on results days, what results documents you receive and when, what you need to know about grade boundaries, and where to go for advice and guidance.

On results day

You'll need to collect your results from your school or college. We can't discuss your results with you or your parents directly, even if your school or college is closed. Please check with your exams officer or teachers.

What you'll get

On results day, you'll receive a results slip showing your provisional results. Results are provisional in case there is a change; for example, your grade could go up or down if your exam paper is reviewed.

You might get one results slip per exam board, or a single slip created by your school or college showing the results from all the exam boards you took exams with.

Quality of marking is at the heart of what we do to make sure results are reliable, and accurately reflect a student's performance on the day of the exam. Read about how we do this on our Getting the right result pages.

Understanding your results

Summer 2017 saw a number of changes to GCSE and A-level exams. To guide you through these changes, we’ve worked together with The Student Room and the other exam boards to help create the following videos about what’s happening to qualifications and why it matters.

Watch videos on The Student Room website: How exams are changing

9–1 grading for new GCSEs

New GCSEs will be graded 9–1, rather than A*–G. The new grades were awarded for the first time in summer 2017 for GCSE English Language, GCSE English Literature and GCSE Maths.

See our 9–1 grading page for more information and our video about the new grading system.

Understanding your results slips

  • Results slips for our new linear GCSE, AS and A-level specifications (for first teaching from 2015) will only show an overall subject grade – not uniform marks.
  • For modular qualifications, we use UMS marks to determine the grade, so you will see a UMS result for each unit, alongside the overall subject grade.
  • As the new GCSEs are being introduced in phases, you’ll see a mixture of letter grades and number grades on your results slips and certificates from 2017.
  • Endorsements for GCSE English Language (8700) spoken language, plus A-level Biology Chemistry and Physics, will be reported separately on results slips and certificates.
  • For AQA Certificate in further Maths Level 2 qualification, A* with distinction is reported as A^.

View sample results slips on our results slips and certificates page

Symbols used in results slips

  • No result (X) indicates a result is not being issued because you were absent for all parts of the exam, or because of a decision not to issue a result for another reason. The subject will not appear on a certificate.
  • Pending (Q) indicates that no result has been issued as the marks for one or more components of the exam are not available.
  • # indicates that you were absent for part of the exam in the subject and awarded a zero mark for this part.
  • + indicates that you were exempt from part of the assessment.

For further information, see how grades and levels are reported for most qualifications or read our quick guide to A-level A* grades.

Subjects that use the Uniform Mark Scale (UMS)

For modular qualifications, the Uniform Mark Scale (UMS) helps us set grade boundaries accurately. UMS marks from all your units are added together to give you your overall mark for the subject.

Uniform marks won’t be used for the new linear GCSE, AS and A-level specifications for first teaching from September 2015.

The UMS:

  • turns the raw marks from one exam into marks that help us compare what is achieved in other exams in that subject
  • helps to make sure all students get the correct grade, no matter when they took a particular unit.

UMS converter

Your results slip already shows UMS marks for modular qualifications, but if you have a copy of your marked exam paper with the raw marks, you can use the UMS converter to convert your raw marks to UMS marks.

Grade boundaries

Grade boundaries show the minimum number of marks you need for each grade and are published on our website on results day.

  • If you have a results slip showing UMS for the subject, use UMS/points grade boundaries tables to work out how many UMS marks you need to achieve each grade.
  • If you have a results slip showing a single grade for the subject (including grades 9-1), use raw mark grade boundaries if your school or college has given you your exam paper (raw) mark. If you don’t have the raw mark, your teacher or exams officer can help you.

Watch our Making the grades video to find out how grade boundaries are set.

This information is also summarised in our quick guide to understanding your results flowchart

If you're unhappy about your results

Please talk to your teacher or exams officer as they will be best placed to help you. You can’t request a review or results from us directly – your school or college will need to request these on your behalf.

See our what to do if you are unhappy with your results page for guidance on the options available to you, and our post-results services flowchart for a summary of the services that are available.

University applications

  • We send results to UCAS but we don't hold any information on whether you have a university place. See for information about results and clearing and/or UCAS social media accounts.
  • You may need your results or certificates earlier to apply for, or confirm, international university or college places. Find out when they need your results information – their deadlines and timescales may be different to our certificate release dates.
  • If you’re applying to study at a university abroad, we can confirm your results directly with international universities. Applications for current results cost £20 per address to cover international delivery through DHL. Please complete our application form and email it to, along with the relevant documentation.


Your certificate is an important document so keep it in a safe place. You will need it for future employers and/or further education. We charge for any replacement documents. See results slips and certificates to see when you'll get your certificates.